Friday, August 20, 2010

How to teach my dog to bark at the door?

My dog does not bark (he's 1.6 years old, mostly Black Lab/mix, very sweet).





I like that he doesn't bark EXCEPT that he doesn't bark at someone at the door. I don't live in a nice neighborhood and have already been broken into (when we were gone over the weekend). I WANT my dog to bark when someone is at the door!! I WANT people to know there is a dog in the house!





I've tried training him to bark when he hears the bell or a knock, but it seems futile, because I can't get him to bark at all. Even at the dog park. For instance, at 10 PM this evening someone knocked at my door and then rang the bell. My dog simply let out one LITTLE woof (that I doubt the person at the front door could even hear) and that was it! Nothing. I wanted him to go nuts with barking. Thankfully the man left, but why was he knocking at my door in the first place? Mistaken house or casing my home?





I've heard they make door bells that have recordings of barking doors.


Maybe this will get him started.





Does anyone know where I could find such an item? I've tried doing a search, but have found only a motion detectors with barking...





My dog isn't shy at all. He simply doesn't bark....at anything. He can bark. I've heard him....once every blue moon.How to teach my dog to bark at the door?
I paired a speak command with my dogs natural barking and a 'no' command when she barks when I don't want her to, so im suggesting when she does bark pair it with a command, after she learns to do that pair the command with the doorbell and give a treat- soon you can drop the command, and just pair the doorbell with the treat When she does it right.


Good luck


Also- if she doesn't want to bark at your doorbell she may be too acclimated to it so you may think about trying a new tone or ringing sequence.How to teach my dog to bark at the door?
I heard that spanking him will help him bark.....its a old wise tale....sounds silly but it may work!!!...just a little pat on the butt not hard...don't hurt him!!!...GOOD LUCK

No comments:

Post a Comment