Friday, August 20, 2010

Is this a good proposal? For school?

This is a part of my quarterly which is worth 25 % of my grade. We need to outline a research paper and we get to choose a topic out of a long list provided to us. But it also has to be approved and so we had to write a proposal saying what we planed to do in the paper, why we chose the topic, and how we planned to gather information. I chose having celebrities as role models.





In this paper I plan to argue that having celebrities as a role model is not a good idea, especially for teenagers. I have chosen this topic because it seems that most teens do have a celebrity as a role model. Whether it be a pop star, athlete, actor or even someone like Paris Hilton, who doesn鈥檛 even have a profession. I believe that these teens are just setting themselves up to be let down. Most of the role models teenagers look up to are sending the wrong message about drugs, alcohol, sex, eating disorders, violence, and relationships. Now not all celebrities are bad people to look up to . However, typically the better role models are not in the public eye, and if they were to be, most, if not all of them would turn out similar to any of the bad role models today. And since I have a strong opinion on this subject, I believe that I can make a good argument and prove my point.





I plan to do this by gathering information on the most popular celebrity role models. And then showing how the actions they make can encourage teenagers to imitate them, leading them in the wrong direction and teaching them the wrong values. I will gather my information through the internet and articles in magazines. I have already done some research using the internet to help me establish my thesis statement. With my paper I鈥檇 like to be able to convince teenagers to look up to someone better suited to be a role model. Like for instance their parents, siblings, teachers or mentors. Choosing the regular people who know and understand you rather than looking up to someone you have never met for only their fame and wealth.Is this a good proposal? For school?
I think it has good merit as a starting point, however this may lead to a very difficult statement to prove in the way in which you seem to be doing. Your proposal, while sound, is leading to a very subjective paper, into which your research will be focused only upon the potential negative aspects of celebrity role models. You will need to become less general, and focus on more specific people to prove or disprove what you are saying.





Yes, I do agree that Paris Hilton is a terrible role model, however, as you have said, there are a number of very good potential role models in the celebrity world.





A good start, but you need to narrow down your area of research. Also, it may be a good idea to focus on either male or female role models, and how they can negatively impact their male or female counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment